• The Expert Explains

    The Expert Explains

    Question: Valid or not?
    "Your hours of work can be changed, provided you are given 12 hours notice of such change"?

  • See more video clips



    Sorry, but this information is available to subscribers only. If you are a subscriber, please log in to access this page. If you would like to subscribe, please Register here or visit Subscriber benefits for more information.



    1. Jan Truter
      Posted 1 July 2013 at 8:27 am | Permalink

      Reply to Stan: It is correct that one cannot use a fixed term contract as a substitute for probation. A fixed term contract has to be for a justifiable reason. The forthcoming changes to labour legislation will be emphasizing on this fact. It will also be requirement that the contract spells out the reason for the fixed term contract.

    2. stancaminsky
      Posted 30 June 2013 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

      Hi there

      I subscribe to LabourWise which subsciption commenced quite recently

      We are in the family entertainment business and recently employed a lady who worked in the HR department of her previous job.We were discussing fixed term agreements and she advised me that no longer can one fix a term at the end of that term advise the employee that there services are no longer required ie. the motivation for us for the fixed agreement was to see whether that person would make the grade. She advised me that the fixed term agreement can only apply for example if you are building a house and the house is now complete ie. the contract was for a specific purpose. In our businesses we employ a number of people and it is of the utmost importance that we have an opportunity
      to make the right decision. She advises me that the CCMA have now come down heavily in favour of her interpretation.

      I look forward to hearing from you.

      Stan Caminsky

    Post a Comment

    Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *